Coronavirus update: Global cases of COVID-19 top 221 million and U.S. accounts for more than 40 million

The global tally for the coronavirus-borne illness COVID-19 climbed above 221 million on Monday, while the death toll rose above 4.57 million, according to data aggregated by Johns Hopkins University. The U.S. leads the world with a total of 40 million cases and 649,034 deaths, passing the 40 million milestone overnight. Just 53% of the overall U.S. population is fully vaccinated against COVID, leaving 47% at risk of severe illness and death. The U.S. is averaging more than 1,500 deaths a day for the first time since March, and daily totals have risen fivefold since the beginning of August,according to a New York Times tracker. And while cases are beginjning to decline in states in the Deep South, they are picking up in the Midwest, Northeast and mid-Atlantic, mostly because of the highly infectious delta variant that accounts for most cases. Oregon and Idaho are running out of ICU beds as delta fills hospitals, according to the Times. India has the second highest death toll after the U.S. at 441,042 and is third by cases at 33 million, the JHU data shows. Brazil has second highest death toll at 583,810 and has 20.9 million cases. In Europe, Russia has 185,447 deaths, followed by the U.K. with 133,598. Market Pulse Stories are Rapid-fire, short news bursts on stocks and markets as they move. Visit MarketWatch.com for more information on this news.

Coronavirus update: Global cases of COVID-19 top 221 million and U.S. accounts for more than 40 million
The global tally for the coronavirus-borne illness COVID-19 climbed above 221 million on Monday, while the death toll rose above 4.57 million, according to data aggregated by Johns Hopkins University. The U.S. leads the world with a total of 40 million cases and 649,034 deaths, passing the 40 million milestone overnight. Just 53% of the overall U.S. population is fully vaccinated against COVID, leaving 47% at risk of severe illness and death. The U.S. is averaging more than 1,500 deaths a day for the first time since March, and daily totals have risen fivefold since the beginning of August,according to a New York Times tracker. And while cases are beginjning to decline in states in the Deep South, they are picking up in the Midwest, Northeast and mid-Atlantic, mostly because of the highly infectious delta variant that accounts for most cases. Oregon and Idaho are running out of ICU beds as delta fills hospitals, according to the Times. India has the second highest death toll after the U.S. at 441,042 and is third by cases at 33 million, the JHU data shows. Brazil has second highest death toll at 583,810 and has 20.9 million cases. In Europe, Russia has 185,447 deaths, followed by the U.K. with 133,598. Market Pulse Stories are Rapid-fire, short news bursts on stocks and markets as they move. Visit MarketWatch.com for more information on this news.